This is a view of the Territorial Prison in 1912. The wagons are hauling two tractor wheels from the foundry. The view is looking north on Main Street. To view a "Time Tunnel" of this same location from 1907 to 2016, click or tap on the photo.
Stillwater Territorial Prison
Written by Robert Molenda
The Stillwater prison was built in 1851 as part of the territorial plan. The site was known as “Battle Hollow” because of a Native American skirmish in 1839. Twenty-one members of the Ojibway tribe were killed by members of the Dakotah tribe. The prison and the warden’s house were completed in 1853 and other additions were made to the construction site in later years. Jacob Fisher, a millwright, designed the buildings and also staked claims where Stillwater presently stands.