by Bill Fredell
The liftbridge was completed in 1931 allowing traffic to move between Stillwater and Wisconsin. It has worked well in its eighty-five years of service. One of only a few remaining liftbridges in Minnesota, it has become the symbol of Stillwater and a welcome sight of the St. Croix Valley. The liftbridge is on the National Register of Historical Places (1989) and its cost of $460,174 was split between Minnesota and Wisconsin. Today, it carries 18,000 vehicles per day.